You’ve heard of smashed avocado on toast right? Yes! Because everyone has. I love avo toast as a breakfast or lunch meal but I’ve also been experimenting with upping my toast game in general recently.
Somethings have definitely worked better than others I will say but the recipe today I think is one of the best I’ve tried.
I got the inspiration from a pea, mint and feta salad recipe that I often have in the summer. The flavours are so fresh and remind you of actually being able to leave the house in jeans and a t-shirt, not the 1,000 layers I currently have to wear whenever I go anywhere.
So, I thought for a brunch recipe, why not put this on toast to make it a bit more hearty and the results were perfect. So perfect in fact I had it for lunch 3 days in a row (don’t judge!)
The peas also pack quite a bit of protein compared to avocado with an average avocado being 227 calories and 2.7 grams of protein and the 90 grams of peas I used in this recipe was 73 calories and 5.4 grams of protein which is quite a mighty feat for the little green guy!
90 grams Frozen garden peas
A little butter or margarine
1 slice of Sourdough
A few sprigs of Mint
A sprinkling on crumbled feta (about 10 grams)
1 Handful of salad (I used bistro salad as I like the beetroot)
Salt and Pepper
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the peas, let them simmer for 5-8 minutes until cooked
- Meanwhile toast the slice of bread and spread the butter or margarine on the toast
- When the peas are cooked, drain them through a colander and return to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and then mash them either using a form or a potato masher
- Arrange the salad on the toast and top with the mashed peas
- Top this with the crumbled feta and rip off a few mint leaves to put on top.
- Season with more pepper to taste.
This recipe makes 1 serving and is roughly 278 calories per serving.